The Occupy DC general assembly passed the following proposal on January 14, 2012.
We support an amendment that does the following:
- Ends the judicial fiction of corporate Constitutional rights.
- Requires Congress to regulate campaign finance.
- Mandates public financing of public elections.
We also support these non-amendment solutions:
- Ending the revolving door between lobbyists and the executive and legislative branches of the government.
- Restructuring the Federal Election Commission to give it prosecutorial power and neutral, non-political commissioners.Requiring the disclosure and complete transparency of all independent political expenditures.
- Banning lobbyists from acting as either fundraisers or bundlers.
We implore the DC city council, the Maryland legislature, the Virginia legislature and all legislative bodies to pass resolutions calling on Congress to enact an amendment and other solutions.
We call on all people to exercise their civic duty by taking action, where possible, against corporate personhood and the corrupting influence of money in politics without waiting for the government to fix itself.
Occupy DC reserves the right to oppose an amendment or other solution even if it adheres to the provisions above.
Consent to this proposal does not require that an individual be completely in line with every piece of the proposed solution.
This concern is one of many that Occupy DC will address. More solutions are forthcoming.